Max Points: 50
There are many different types of nurse leader/management positions in healthcare today. Nurse leader/managers may be found at all levels, as well as in hospitals, community health agencies, clinics, and even academia, just to name a few. The purpose of this paper is to interview a nurse leader/manager, explore their particular role, and share your thoughts and suggestions for success in that role.
Use the following information to ensure the successful completion of the assignment.
? Review the rubric that will be used to grade this assignment. It is recommended that you review the rubric to familiarize yourself with the assignment and required criteria.
? APA format is required for this assignment. Refer to the 6th edition APA manual.
? You may utilize the textbook for this class as a guide but may not be used as a reference within the paper. Also, at least three additional scholarly references must be cited at least once within the text of the paper.
? References MUST be in the last 5 years. References must be at least 2-3 pages. If you are unsure about a reference, ask.
? Interview a nurse leader/manager of your choice using the attached questions. You may also ask further questions of your choosing, but these must be included. The nurse leader must be a higher level leader/manager within the organization. For example a charge nurse or shift leader is not acceptable, their management duties are very minimal and will not allow you to meet the objectives of this assignment.
Write a 1,000-1,200 word paper on your interview with a nurse leader/manager. Word count does not include headings, in-text citations, or references.
Include the following in your paper:
1. Summarize your interview highlighting any information you learned to be most interesting or useful. In the paper if you are discussing your interview and suggestions you may use opinions and personal thoughts. Any research discussion must be written professionally and cited.
2. Discuss the specific role and duties of the nurse leader/manager. Review the interview questions prior to the interview and prepare to ask more questions that allow you to further grasp the duties in this role. Examples are scheduling, evaluations, required committee work, policy and procedure development, weekly meetings, just to name a few.
In addition, include your perspectives on if you believe he/she to be a leader or manager, and why. Support your thoughts anecdotes or references as necessary.
3. Strategies for this leadership role. Give research based suggestions for the nurse you interviewed. Consider the title and duties required in this type of role. Each role is different with different challenges. Strategies should be specific to this role. Examples may be delegation, communication, collaboration, team-building etc. All suggestions need to be cited. Then give specific strategies that this nurse can implement into their daily routines. For example, if you feel the nurse could improve on communication specific examples would be to implement a daily meeting, schedule individual meetings with staff monthly, or create an electronic announcement on the unit computers.
4. Always support your thoughts and research.
5. Interview questions and answers as well as contact information for the leader/manager participating in the interview must be attached as an appendix to your paper. Review APA format on how to do this properly. Follow the template provided.
NUR4108 Leader/Manager Interview Questions
1. How long have you been a nurse? What is your nursing education? Do you have any other certifications or credentials?
2. How long have you been a nurse?
3. What type of unit do you manage? How long have you been at this position?
4. Describe your duties in your position. What is your daily job like?
5. What sort of leader do you perceive yourself to be? (Students be prepared to describe different types of leaders, review in book).
6. Do you work on team building on your unit or within your department? How do you do this if yes?
7. How do you lead and implement change on your unit? Describe a scenario in which you led change, and how did it go?
8. How do you support nurses on your unit or in your department?
9. Have you always known you wanted to be a nurse manager? If not, what made you decide to go into it?
10. What is the most challenging part of your job? How do you deal with it?
***Nurse leader/manager telephone and email (let them know an instructor may be contacting them):
Template for Project 2:
Cover Page: Title, Your name, Professor name, Eastern Illinois University, Date
Sections (use the following headings):
Overview of what will be covered in the paper. This gives a bit about each section and what you discovered or will prove through your research. You can identify yourself as the author. Do not use ?I.? Remember that the last piece is your opinion but the rest of the paper is not. Only give information that was found in the research.
Summary of the Interview
Include information about the leader you interviewed such as his/her title and background and overview of setting. Why did you choose this leader? Be brief as the interview and answers are attached.
Specific Roles and Duties
This is the roles and duties of the nurse leader you interviewed, it is NOT general duties of a nurse leader. Be sure that you address this in your interview and understand this role thoroughly. This is an important piece for researching strategies to improve leadership in this role.
Suggestions for Practice
Research based strategies that would improve this specific role in nursing leadership/management. This is specific you the nurse leader you interviewed.
Summarize your findings here. A summary touches on all aspects of the paper and does not present new material. You cannot include everything, but include the highlights or major findings.
Find the best tutors/writers
Only here on Study Help 24/7
Why Studyhelp247 is the best homework help website
We often see students asking why Studyhelp247 is the best homework help website and why many students use our services. Here is why:
- Our tutors are professionals in their respective subjects. This ensures that they submit high quality work to all our students.
- We have a strict anti-plagiarism policy, ensuring that students receive high quality and original work.
- Our pricing is the most student-friendly. Students pay 0% service fees, making it possible to receive help for as low as $5 per page.
- Our website is secure and privacy is our number on priority. Any question posted on studyhelp247 cannot be seen anywhere else.
- We have the most responsive customer support agents.
- We offer homework help services in all English-Speaking countries, making us a global homework help site.
We have helped over 5,000 students in close to 40 countries worldwide. Join the movement.